lunes, 25 de febrero de 2013

Typhoon Bopha Pablo Storm Surge Hits Philippines in South Chine Sea

The death toll from a powerful storm battering the southern Philippines has risen to about 200, as rescue teams head for affected areas. At least 156 people are known to have died in Compostela Valley province alone when Typhoon Bopha struck Mindanao, local officials told the BBC. Rescuers have reached most areas, but have had difficulty getting to some isolated communities. Many were evacuated ahead of the storm, now over the western island of Palawan. The typhoon is expected to move out into the South China Sea on Thursday. Fe Maestre, government information officer in Compostela Valley, told the BBC that rescuers there were working with the army and relief agencies. He said an estimated 70% of the area's agricultural land had been damaged. 'Torrents of water' Compostela Valley province, in eastern Mindanao, was said to be the hardest-hit area. Neighbouring Davao Oriental province was also badly affected, with reports of about 50 people killed. In Andap village, in Compostela Valley, water and mud rushed down mountainous slopes to engulf a school and a village hall serving as evacuation centres. At least 43 people were killed there, with more reported missing and injured - including soldiers sent to help with evacuations. "They thought that they were already secure in a safe area, but they didn't know the torrents of water would go their way," Compostela Valley Provincial Governor Arturo Uy told local media. Social Welfare Secretary Corazon Soliman said body bags and <b>...</b>
Views: 0
0 ratings
Time: 01:29 More in Music

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario en la entrada