miércoles, 27 de junio de 2012

Vicious 'turf war' attack has destroyed Tunbridge Wells man's life - This is Kent

"IT will never be the same. He will never be the same."

These are the chilling words of the Tunbridge Wells woman whose husband was viciously attacked and left for dead on the streets of Turkey.

  1. left for dead: Nusret Bora needs round-the-clock care

  2. CHARISMATIC: Nusret Bora, right, was a popular figure in the Turkish tourist harbour of Alanya

  3. HELPLESS: Nusret Bora, of Tunbridge Wells, after the attack in Turkey

Eileen Bora, who used to live in St John's Road with her husband Nusret, now spends 24 hours a day caring for him, following the frenzied assault which left him disabled and brain-damaged.

She has watched her charismatic and charming 53-year-old Turkish husband, with whom she fell in love at first sight more than ten years ago, degenerate into a helpless cripple who is doubly incontinent, can barely lift a cup to his mouth and who cries like a baby if she ventures out.

"He is just pathetic, in the true sense. I am not being unkind, he is a million miles mentally from what he was. He was so charismatic, a terrific person to be around," said Mrs Bora, 66, who used to work in the member services department at AXA PPP.

His attacker – Ali Sayin, 37, from Gazipasa, in Turkey – was jailed for ten years for attempted murder last month.

Mr Bora, who used to work in the warehouse at distribution firm Kuehne and Nagel on North Farm Retail Park, had been left for dead in a pool of blood on the promenade, with a catalogue of injuries, including multiple head traumas, a severed tongue and a scorched stomach caused by the wheels of a motorbike ridden over him three times.

The father-of-one was in a coma for five weeks and on a ventilator for a month.

Mr Bora had been popular in the harbour in Alanya, where the couple lived and where he managed a pleasure boat for tourist trips. Mrs Bora believes it was this popularity and trading success that led to what Mrs Bora believes was a "turf war" attack.

"He was a very charismatic person. He used to wear a T-shirt that said 'Hello, I'm Bora'. Everyone knew who he was. He was very clever with languages and spoke four, so he was useful in the harbour," said Mrs Bora.

The couple lived together in St John's Road until they went to Turkey in 2009, with the intention of staying one year to give her younger son, Gary Saunders, a taste of life abroad. She has another son from a previous relationship and he has a daughter.

Because of Mr Bora's mother's illness, they stayed longer but, before the attack on October 14 last year, had intended to come back last month.

Now the couple are trapped in Turkey, having paid more than £30,000 in medical bills and unable to come up with enough money to pay advance rent on a flat in Tunbridge Wells.

Mrs Bora's son, who works at Tesco in Pembury, has been given six months' special leave so he can help care for his step-father.

Mrs Bora, who was born in Tunbridge Wells and was a pupil at what is now the Weald of Kent Grammar School, said a witness saw her husband try to get up after the first attack.

But Sayin came back a second time and then a third, in the space of an hour, and left him for dead. He even rode his motorbike over him three times, spinning the back wheel on his stomach until it burned his clothes off and ripped in to his skin.

"He is in bed 23½ hours a day. We have to drag him in a plastic chair in to the shower every couple of days. His arms are locked against his chest, but he can hold a glass and lift it to his mouth to drink, if I put it in his hand. He can push up and stand on his one good leg, but sits back down again. He needs physio, but we just haven't got any money," she said.

Turn the clock back ten years to when Eileen first laid eyes on Mr Bora, who was managing the boutique hotel in Turkey where she was staying.

"From the first moment I saw him, something in my mind said 'that is going to be your husband'.

Two weeks later she was back in Turkey and five months later the pair married.

"We have been very, very happy," she said.

But life for the couple is now lived hour by hour. Mrs Bora, who for weeks had to feed her husband through a stomach tube and still has to manually clear his lungs, desperately wants to bring her husband back to Tunbridge Wells, where he can get care and where she will feel safe.

"He cries if I go out and says 'I didn't think you were coming back'. Sometimes he says to me 'what is your name' and others, he says 'you are my darling wife'.

"It has been the most horrendous situation you can imagine. I just don't know how I have got through it," she said.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario